Old 12-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Steveo

Default Japanese beetles are back!

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Steveo wrote:

wrote:

On a side note, I live in easter pa, have they layed eggs already?

I've seen tiny brown spots where the grass comes up in handfuls? I
thought this would happen at the end of July.

Look for billbug grubs. They're very small with no legs, look at
the second picture down.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05516.html

I like that article. It points out that the egg-laying has been going
on for a month and a half and those eggs will hatch next spring.

Nope, those billbug larve will feed this summer. The billbug over-winters
as an adult, not a grub.

Attracting the flying beetles now may save your trees but spraying
everything green with a toxic chemical is not a good idea.

Um..he said -two- tress. Is that everything green?

The chart
is a bit out of date -- Sevin and diazinon are being phased out by order
of the FDA. "Eight" is available to replace "Sevin".

The only reason it's being phased out is over-use, not because of
its LD-50.