Old 12-07-2004, 03:02 PM
escapee

Default A horticultural problem of huge proportions

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 05:40:15 -0500, (Pat Kiewicz)
opined:

escapee said:

Is this the same thing as oak wilt? If so, we have it rampant in parts of
Texas. It's very serious, but there are some native oaks which are resistant.
Live oak seems to be the worst hit in our region.

No, Sudden Oak Death is a different threat.

We've got oak wilt here, too. It's carried by sap beetles. The usual
recommendation is to never prune oaks except during a very limited
period of the year (fall and early winter, IIRC). Storms don't listen to
the arborist's guidelines, though...

Actually, in this region it is recommended you prune in the dead heat of summer
or the coldest part of winter in Jan/Feb. Although pruning paint is out of
date, the arborists recommend using it on cuts larger than an inch. I use it,
but not a heavy application. That I know of, there is no oak wilt in this
little area, but there are very large amounts in Austin where many thousands of
old growth live oaks are being taken down.

Sad, really,