Old 12-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Mark C. Mitchell

Default kohler engine igniition unit question

My Kohler is in a John Deere/Scotts lawn tractor. I experienced the
intermittent problem with the spark last year.

I discovered the lever that engages the mowing action did not return to its
correct position. Every now and then when it will not start, just pull the
lever back about one inch and see if that is your problem.

Mark Mitchell

"Mark Leininger" wrote in message
news
Great idea. I'm in the dark most of the time anyhow, so I'll probably be
able to see it even during the day.

Not Me wrote:
"Stu MacDonald"

| I don't claim to be a mechanic (even though I play one on TV) but it
| sounds to me like you may have a bad spark plug wire that may be
| finding ground when you put it back together. Can you leave the cover
| off and start it then? Try some electricians tape around the length of
| the plug wire. Also you might want to get some emory cloth and
| "brighten up" the magneto and flywheel. Sometimes rust can muck things
| up.

Had a similar problem with a B&S on a Sear mower. Drove me nuts until my
son decided to move the mover after dark. We found the problem to be
cracks
in the high voltage lead to the plug allowing the spark to 'leak' to
ground.
(Showed up brilliantly after dark). It was especially a problem on high
humidity/wet days.