Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Danny O'Keefe

Default used coffee and tea good for your garden

If you use the grounds as a contribution to your composting bin they'll help
break down the other elements more quickly (worms love them) and you'll
balance out the ph much better. They'll still be effective for repelling
slugs and they are very beneficial to the soil. We've been doing this in our
garden for quite a few years now and the soil and plants are thriving. You
can use the grounds straight to build rings around plants that are getting
hit by slugs but they work better over the long run as a composting element
and as an amendment with mulch.

D. O'Keefe

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in message
. ..
I toss my grounds in an old dishwashing powder tub. When the tub is

full,
use it to fill the ruts in the empty field across the road. Is it ok to

use
with seedlings in starting planters?

[followups set]

Coffee grounds are quite acidic. Don't get excited when I say that a

higher
than normal acidity level in soil may help ward off some diseases FOR A
SHORT TIME, because in the long run, most of the seeds you grow probably
won't like the pH. Or, maybe in the short run. Just don't do it.