Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Bob S.

Default Landscaping Advice

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
"Bob S." wrote in message
om...
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

news:YYTHc.54680$IQ4.53366@attbi_s02...
"Bob S." wrote in message
m...
Jay wrote in message

. 64.196...
We are moving into a newly built home soon.
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a really good

landscaping
book or software.
We live in central new york
Thanks

I bought several landscaping software packages and they all suck.
Check with your county agricultural extension Service and see if they
have a Master Gardener program. Master Gardeners have landscape
training, provide free advice, and are generally eager to help.

Bob S.

Master Gardeners DO NOT have landscape training. They have some cursory
horticultural training that enables them to be able to answer some very
basic home gardening questions, but they have no formal training in
landscape design. If you want or need professional advice, go to a
professional, not a hobby gardener with limited skills and training and

committment to volunteer in return for this basic training.

pam - gardengal

Pam, you're biased and full of it. I am a Master Gardener and I DID
receive landscape training from the same college professors who teach
it in college. Granted, not to the same degree as a professional
landscaper, but certainly enough training to give good advice to the
average homeowner. And training is just the beginning - all that
volunteer time you are ridiculing adds up to a hell of a lot of
experience.
Sounds like you don't like the competition.

Bob S.

On the other hand, landscaping is art. An artist commissioned to paint a
mural on a building may choose the wrong paint and it may wash off, but
before that happens, the picture may be terrific. A landscaper who chooses
the wrong plants may still make a design which looks great until some of the
plants die. So, a homeowner with no training could very well come up with a
good design with the wrong plants.

Whatever.

I don't disagree at all. But there are many professional landscapers
on a limited budget who will knowlingly put out inferior plants they
wouldn't use in their own yard just to stay within budget. I can show
you whole neighborhoods like that. The average homeowner needs to be
enlightened about which plants do/do not grow well in their
communities. Most Master Gardeners have that knowledge and are willing
to share it. I never said they could landscape like a professional,
but I did say they have the training and knowledge to let the average
homeowner make knowledgeable decisions.

Bob S.