Old 12-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Monroe

Default Mountain Ash Question

Fairly simple, uneducated question here. I honestly don't know. We had
a mountain ash that lived some 20-odd years. Over the last few years
the tree had slowly been on the wane; compounded by serious drought in
our area. We finally cut it down this spring. Over the course of it's
life, we dutifully cut the suckers growing from the base of the tree.
What I'm wondering, is whether the suckers, if selectively cut and the
healthiest left to grow, actually grow into a mature tree? If not, is
there a problem in trying to grow another from a cutting (or
otherwise) in the same area? A reply on a garden web forum indicates
propogation fir this tree is limited to seed or grafting. Has anyone
any experience doing this?

Thanks for any and all.
--

Monroe