Old 13-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Great ruin - hope to re-develope

The message
from "david lloyd" contains these words:

Hi Pete,

Just taken a bit of time to do a bit more thinking how to finance the
purchase. If the stupid land prices in the UK are anything to go by, even
this tree and brick encrusted plot will cost the proverbial arm and leg.
I'll have to get my questions lined up, like what the water supply to the
property was like. Please let it be a well. Had a word with the manager of
the nearby farm and apparently Lord Stafford seams to take an active
interest in the farming. I know it will pale into insignificance against the
size of farms in Australia but to say Lord Stafford's land 'stretches as far
as the eye can see' is an understatement.

There's a few other things to bear in mind.

LS may not be prepared (or able) to interrupt his estate by selling a
small freehold area in the middle; if so, consider negotiating a
leasehold instead.

Even large landholders don't always control whether or not
land/derelict property they own can have a new house built on it. You
need to find out about the Local Plan,(council planning dept), is it in
greenbelt, and when the property was last occupied by people. (This can
determine whether it can be redeveloped). Some areas, some ruins and
some farm land are designated for no housing development, and if that's
the case LS won't have any say.

Wells are a mixed blessing; over time they are vulnerable to changing
circumstances above and below ground and planning permission is only
possible if there's a water supply (either well, spring or mains) that
meets modern regulations.

Janet (Scotland)