Old 13-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Doug Kanter

Default Mock Orange Question

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I had 3 of these along my property line when I bought my house. They

were
my
neighbor's. The moron cut them down. I can't tell you much about growing
them, but you'd better get yourself a hat with mosquito net like

fishermen
wear because when those plants start making flowers and you smell them,
you're gonna be sleeping out there in a lawn chair. :-)

Do you recall how tall they got? how wide? I appreciate your comment on
the fragrance. In my Google search, I found a couple of sites that said
they were only mildly fragrant and you had to put you nose in the flower

smell it. I have a love-hate relationship with Google. Sometimes you

find
great information and sometimes you get widely divergent information about
the same plant.

Mine were about 6' high, but mostly suckers. They'd been badly abused by the
knucklehead neighbor. But, here's a hint from Wayside Gardens:

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...=orange%20mock

Most Fragrant Philadelphus.
The orange-brown bark peels attractively in winter providing another season
of interest.

Philadelphus Virginal - Mockorange. The hard-to-find true Mockorange strain
that blooms all summer. The most fragrant Philadelphus, this drought
tolerant, 8-foot by 6-foot shrub produces masses of 2-inch flowers.
Orange-brown bark peels attractively in winter. Prefers humus-rich, loamy
soil. Zones 5-8. One-gallon container. For Fall Shipping