Old 13-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Sunburn [was Clivia/Kaffir Lily]

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message

This is something that we have discussed before, but I still don't
understand the mechanisms, and so am asking for clarification and
cross-posting. Here is what I understand the situation to be.

The annual peak intensity of the sun in the UK is perhaps 70% of
the daily, clear sky, peak intensity in the tropics, perhaps less.
The ultraviolet levels are a LOT less, but I haven't been able to
find what they are - let's take them as 40%. (snip)

The ozone layer (or lack of it) plays a significant role in

screening
UV. In Scotland the ozone layer is seriously depleted, May usually

has
clear skies, and even when the temp is only 60 to 70 F, skin can

burn
within minutes. It's not uncommon in that month for people here to

burn
seriously enough to require hospital admission. Scotland has the

highest
incidence of skincancer in the UK.

A couple of years back we were in Darwin Australia in May, also

clear
skies, 90 degrees, sun much more direct, no burn sensation at all. I

met
an Australian doctor there who had just arrived back from Scotland,

and
remarked on the same thing. Her caucasian skin which never blistered

at
home in Darwin,was burned in Scotland.

I believe that the problems caused by sun through glass are mainly
surface heating, because it is typically associated with slow air
movement, is much more serious close to the glass than a distance
away, and 1/2" air gap K glass double glazing does not seem to

cause
the effect much. Can you confirm or deny this?

In the 80's when I was being treated for multiple malignant

melanoma,
I asked about UV transmission through glass. The reply was that

single
glazing,(car windows for example) and standard double glazing at

that
time, offered virtually no protection at all.

I don't believe that. Most glasses have quite a sharp cut-off just
beyond the visible blue end of the spectrum. If not, the near-UV
photodetectors which I used for decades would not have had to be
constructed with fused silica windows.

Franz