Old 13-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Phisherman

Default Soapy water

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:23:37 +0000 (UTC), "Mogweed"
wrote:

We seem to have developed soapy water. The waterfall has been running 24/7
since December and we have no fish in the pond yet. There aren't many plants
at the moment as a friend said he would give us lots but he is off work sick
at the moment, but there are 4 oxygenators under the surface as well as what
you can see.

We had a terrible problem with blanketweed and someone recommended a
barleystraw bale which worked a treat and has been in there for about two
months. As the soapy water only appeared about a week ago I don't think it
can be down to that. And I also think it's extremely unlikely that anyone
has put detergent in there, so just what can be causing this and how do I
get rid of it?

To see what I mean, have a look he
http://www.btinternet.com/~herbie/pond.htm

Cheers,

Herbie.

Run a few airstones in the water for a few days and see if it clears
up. The "soapy" look may be due to bacteria growth. Remove any
decaying matter that may be in the water. If there is truly soap in
the water (Fill a glass jar half full of your pond water and shake
it), then I'd change the water out. If you have a microscope, take a
look at a water sample.