Old 13-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Fran

Default Great ruin - hope to re-develope

"david lloyd" wrote in message

Just taken a bit of time to do a bit more thinking how to finance the
purchase. If the stupid land prices in the UK are anything to go by, even
this tree and brick encrusted plot will cost the proverbial arm and leg.
I'll have to get my questions lined up, like what the water supply to the
property was like. Please let it be a well. Had a word with the manager of
the nearby farm and apparently Lord Stafford seams to take an active
interest in the farming. I know it will pale into insignificance against

the
size of farms in Australia but to say Lord Stafford's land 'stretches as

far
as the eye can see' is an understatement.

But the difference is that to make a living on the land is Oz, one needs a
LOT of it. John Seymour's old book about "Independence on 5 acres" (or
whatever the nearly like that title may be) really is a lot closer to the
mark for the UK. A lot of the old land plans here reveal a multitude of 5
acre plots of land - made up by colonisers from Britain who had no idea how
crappy some of our country/soil really was.

You never know, Lord thingummy might be so interested in the land that he'd
liek to see a small bit of it reurrected and used well. You can but try.

Hope I don't confuse anyone with the cange of addi, I've just gone on
broadband. I was fed up by the long download times for Microswiz updates,
which cost me the other arm and leg on dial-up. I'll have to see about
setting up an alias to avoid spam.

We're very easily confused here but given that you've both followed the
thread and remain identified by your first name and told us of the change, I
think we can cope just this once :-))