Old 13-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Hillevi P

Default Let's Start a Good Idea, Tips Thread.

I recently made some clay pots to use for growing orchids. The look good,
and it's possible to make holes in the pots adapted especially for the kind
of plant you plan to pot in it.

I think the pots look better than the plastic ones, and I use RO-water, so
I'm avoiding the buildup of salts from water, which is a negative thing
often mentioned about using clay pots.
The clay pots also chills the roots better on my cooler-growing species,
such as masdevallias, so the clay pots saves me some work during the summer.

It's also possible to make all kinds of imaginative smaller pots/plaques for
mounting.
The clay also retent a little moisture, I have noticed that this seems to
have a good effect on some of my smaller species.

I think it is quite easy to find an evening-course or the like in pottery.
It's also kind of a fun hobby, especially when you have a clear idea what to
do (e g a clear idea of all the orchids to pot)

//Hillevi
Sweden