Old 13-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Frank

Default Hosta Plantaginea Aphrodite advice requested

Zone 7 - Cape Cod

I bought a healthy looking specimen three years ago which, judging by
the stalks, had just finished blooming robustly. I planted it in 3/4
sun with a southern exposure and watered carefully.

Each year in that location it has come up smaller and has never
bloomed.

This year I finally decided to bite the bullet and move the sad little
remnant to 1/4 sun with a northern exposure.

When I dug it up, the crown separately immediately into 6 little
plantlets. I had only prepared one hole. After some internal debate I
decided to plant them all in the hole in a ring shape, more or less as
they were before the transplant.

Although it's early days, they now seem to be flourishing. Each has 4
to 6 leaves, already a definite improvement over last year.

What I'm wondering is, should I leave them as is or should I consider
separating them into separate holes, possibly in the fall.

Separately, I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to get this
variety to bloom.