Old 14-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default blackfly

In article ,
(sarah) writes:

| My old copy of _Organic Gardening_ suggests the use of a nicotine
| solution (from soaked cigarette filters) to dilute the soap if you want
| something really vicious.

It is illegal, but more to protect the monopolists than for safety.
However, this IS one of the effective, organic, biodegradable
pesticides that is SERIOUSLY dangerous to humans. Be careful.
Be very careful.

Soaking used cigarette filters in water is probably inefficient
enough not to be a major danger, but extracting it efficiently is
easy, and nicotine is poisonous enough that it should be handled
only by those used to handling dangerous chemicals. This does not
include me.

Rhubarb leaf extract is nothing like as poisonous, but still needs
handling with care.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.