Old 14-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Mary

Default Tomato shoot rooting question

"nutNhoney" wrote in message
Mary wrote:

"nutNhoney" wrote in message

Glenna Rose wrote:

Because of a branch-breaking accident, I have started a tomato branch,

Our tomato growing season ends with the first freeze too. I bring as
many of the green tomatoes as possible and let them ripen on window
sills. I'm planning on extending the season this year by growing a
couple of tomato plants in the greenhouse. One website suggested
starting tomato plants in August to have for a late fall crop.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a greenhouse to extend the season! Does
anyone here grow greenhouse tomatoes in Zone 5?

It sure would be. My greenhouse is only 6' x 8' and I haven't decided how
to provide additional heat during the real cold months. I'm hoping it
will extend the growing season by a couple of months on each end. I'm on
the edge of Zones 6a and 6b which is a little warmer than Zone 5. BTW,
there are several commercial greenhouses within our region. One grower
has a series of 5 greenhouses that are simply delightful to wander through
on a cold winter day.

Mary

I'd be interested in hearing about the solution that you come up with, a 6'
X 8' space shouldn't be too difficult to heat.

Mary