Old 14-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Let's Start a Good Idea, Tips Thread.

K Barrett wrote:

I've been using a large tub used to mix small batches of concrete for a
potting tub. Holds a lot of medium. Also makes a nice tray to cart potting
materials around in. (Stakes, bark mix, wires, pots, cutters, torch - you
know... all the "stuff") I used to put this stuff in a kitty litter pan,
but it just wasn't large enough.

If I ever repot (since I do it so frequently ... *grin*), I always
use two big plastic storage tubs (25 - 30 gallons, maybe?). The heavy
'Rubbermaid' kind. I mix medium in each. They stack, and (if you get
the right size) the lower one makes a sturdy 'bench' just the right
height so that you can pot right out of the upper tub. Lots of room for
scooping, stuffing, etc. I keep another tub or two empty, for the
debris and old mix. When you run out of mix, swap the tubs and keep on
going.

And, since you know you aren't going to be getting bored with
orchids any time soon, buy the big bags of bark/coconut/spongerock,
etc.. Go to a local commercial grower and stock up, they are usually
happy to sell you this stuff for a small markup. You will save
mega-dollars over buying small bags of premade mix.

I actually have many of those big storage tubs (which I buy on sale,
mind you). I store all sorts of potting materials in them, fertilizer,
and the "stuff" mentioned above. They stack better than bags (and
cardboard boxes just get soggy) and it is easier to get stuff in and out
of them. Keeps things dry (or damp, if you like to store things that
way). If your stuff is in tubs you can store it in the growing area
under the benches (if that is otherwise wasted space, of course). If
you are really organized you can use one of those label maker thingies
to tag them (I just open boxes till I find what I want).

Oh, and old orchid mix makes great mulch for your flower beds...

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )