Old 14-07-2004, 12:07 PM
wendy7

Default Let's Start a Good Idea, Tips Thread.

Super great ideas so far everyone! Hope we can keep this going
& going.
How about tag colours & the use of them. I use yellow ones for all
the species, white for hybrids. An added red tag is for bug treated plants.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Rob Halgren wrote:
K Barrett wrote:

I've been using a large tub used to mix small batches of concrete
for a potting tub. Holds a lot of medium. Also makes a nice tray
to cart potting materials around in. (Stakes, bark mix, wires, pots,
cutters, torch - you know... all the "stuff") I used to put this
stuff in a kitty litter pan, but it just wasn't large enough.

If I ever repot (since I do it so frequently ... *grin*), I always
use two big plastic storage tubs (25 - 30 gallons, maybe?). The heavy
'Rubbermaid' kind. I mix medium in each. They stack, and (if you
get the right size) the lower one makes a sturdy 'bench' just the
right height so that you can pot right out of the upper tub. Lots of
room for scooping, stuffing, etc. I keep another tub or two empty,
for the debris and old mix. When you run out of mix, swap the tubs
and keep on going.

And, since you know you aren't going to be getting bored with
orchids any time soon, buy the big bags of bark/coconut/spongerock,
etc.. Go to a local commercial grower and stock up, they are usually
happy to sell you this stuff for a small markup. You will save
mega-dollars over buying small bags of premade mix.

I actually have many of those big storage tubs (which I buy on
sale, mind you). I store all sorts of potting materials in them,
fertilizer, and the "stuff" mentioned above. They stack better
than bags (and cardboard boxes just get soggy) and it is easier to
get stuff in and out of them. Keeps things dry (or damp, if you like
to store things that way). If your stuff is in tubs you can store it
in the growing area under the benches (if that is otherwise wasted
space, of course). If you are really organized you can use one of
those label maker thingies to tag them (I just open boxes till I find
what I want).

Oh, and old orchid mix makes great mulch for your flower beds...