Old 14-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Gale Pearce

Default String algae & water quality issues

Hi Heather - I do only feed my lilies and Lotus (lotus are in pots on deck)
I can't turn my stream/ waterfall off as they are fed by the bio-filter that
I only clean at seasons end. I have been always able to keep the algae down
in the stream and waterfall by using the hose on "jet" setting , but not
this year - I have never seen it like this in 10 yrs. oh well, maybe it'll
slow down as the rains end
Gale :~)
"Heather" wrote in message
news
Another chime from an Ontarian...

I was told to only fertilize lily and lotus and let the rest fend for
themselves. This does seem to keep the algae down. Also if you can turn
your stream off for six hours during a hot sunny day this should knock it
out some. Every time I clean my filter, my stream is down so I give it a
good blast with the hose set on "Jet". This has helped keep it under
control.

Heather
Woodstock, ON

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
Hi Janet - I was just thinking the same thing myself yesterday - I have
never had the algae build-up in my stream like I have it this year - it
actually causes my stream to leak. I don't notice it in the pond itself,
just the stream and waterfall
Gale :~) (another Ontarian)
"Janet" wrote in message
I am at my witt's end these days. The string algae is incredible. It's
completely taken over the stream and is slowly choking out plants in

the
main pond. Oddly though, the VF is really not affected. I've been
experimenting with the kitty litter and it's only mildly effective. It

does
seem to knock it back but it comes back with a vengence. We picked up

new
master test kit tonight and here are my readings...
PH-9
GH- 4 drops, 80
KH-5 drops, 50
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
I know my GH and KH is low but for the life of me I can't remember

the
formula for adding baking soda. Can someone please offer some guidance

very frustrated PORG. )
Janet in warm and clear Niagara Falls.