Old 14-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Clivia/Kaffir Lily

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in reply to,
Dave Poole :

Clivias are extremely susceptible to exposure from direct sun if they
have been kept shaded. Your plant's symptoms are completely typical
of one that has been severely burnt. Move it into a shaded position
and when new leaves start to appear, apply a general purpose
fertiliser. The damaged leaves will not recover, but you should leave
them on until there is strong re-growth. In future, give your Clivia
50% shade from March to november, thereafter allow it to cope with
full light. They do not enjoy, nor can they tolerate direct UK sun
either through glass, or directly onto their leaves.

Have you got Clivia miniata to flower not exposed to any direct sun?
It certainly will grow like that, but the ones I have seen have been
effectively foliage plants.

I grew some Clivia nobilis from Chilterns seed, but they are growing
INCREDIBLY slowly. What is more, they don't seem to have a root
system worth a damn. My suspicion is that they are desert plants,
and regard the UK's summers as beneath contempt. Can you offer any
advice?

Our Clivia is decades old and has, in the past when it was my mothers, been
grown in a S. facing greenhouse in full sun just 200yds from the S. coast
without problems. It is now in our NNE facing lean-to greenhouse and only
gets full sun for a couple of hours at first light.
In both cases it was/is at the back of the greenhouse away from the front
glass, and in both cases there was no burn to the leaves and it has always
flowered well.

The only problem I have with it is I have never been able to get the seeds
to germinate. :-(

--
Regards
Bob