Old 31-01-2003, 02:52 AM
Howard

Default Pipe Size

John's the man.

Pipe size has more to think about the water capacity. More important is
the drag the pipe imparts on the water (static head). In general big pipes
move more water then smaller pumps given the same size pump. Also
large radius elbows are better then small radius ones. In general (again)
sewer parts tend to provide the right parts for the job.

Howard

"John Rutz" wrote in message

BenignVanilla wrote:
Is it better to over size your pipe or undersize your pipe?

Here is my predicament.

I am slowly working on my plan for my pond now, but I can expect I will

have
it dug before I am ready to buy the pumps and other gear. I plan to shop
around a bit. So I want to run the pipes for the skimmer and the bottom
drain, etc., but if I have not decided on a pump yet, I figured this

would
be a problem.

Should I just run twin 2 inch PVC pipes and use both if I need the 4

inches
of bandwidth, and cap one if I don't?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

BV

go with the largest pipe you can, my mag drives have 1 in outlets but to
get full capacity(GPH) out of them I use 2 in pipe, Im redesigning the
filters and moving em farther from the pond so am planing on going to
4-6 in pipe

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so