Old 14-07-2004, 03:03 PM
someone

Default inexpensive sources of high nitrogen

Jim Carlock wrote in message
The following link indicates it needs constant water, so it might be
invasive in areas around rivers or lakes or rain forests.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/317/

It also indicates that some parts of the plant are poisonous. So I
take back what the author of the book I was reading said.

Hi Jim, yes, I think you're right both about what you read and what your
link said.

From what I've understood for many years, Comfrey can be made into an
ointment to rub on the skin to get rid of bruises or things like that.
Or so the homeopathists say, but I don't know.

People here also used to think you could make tea out of it and drink
it. But, as your link indicates, this is probably not a good thing to
do. Comfrey has a lot of silica in its hairy leaves, and these silica
shards shouldn't be ingested.

Nevertheless, it's a plant worth growing if you want some easy
nitrogenous fertilizer.

Ray could be right as well when he says that Comfrey is invasive,
although I've never had a problem. It does have a very long tap root,
and if it lives by water, could be difficult to get rid of. My garden
is quite dry and it's easy to yank the root out.

OTOH, maybe we're talking about two different, related species of
Comfrey.

Anyway, the manure works on tomatoes!

s.