Old 14-07-2004, 03:06 PM
RichToyBox

Default String algae & water quality issues

Janet,

My test kit measures one drop KH is one degree of hardness or 17 ppm, which
would make your KH 85 rather than 50. With your pH, you can safely add all
the baking soda you want. There is a calculator at Roark's site
http://www.click2roark.com/cgi-win/w...ocument=index2
which does require a logon, but it is free. I would add a pound per 1000
gallons and recheck the KH. The Kh should be at least 6 or 7 drops.
--
RichToyBox
"Janet" wrote in message
I am at my witt's end these days. The string algae is incredible. It's
completely taken over the stream and is slowly choking out plants in the
main pond. Oddly though, the VF is really not affected. I've been
experimenting with the kitty litter and it's only mildly effective. It

does
seem to knock it back but it comes back with a vengence. We picked up a

new
master test kit tonight and here are my readings...
PH-9
GH- 4 drops, 80
KH-5 drops, 50
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
I know my GH and KH is low but for the life of me I can't remember the
formula for adding baking soda. Can someone please offer some guidance to

very frustrated PORG. )
Janet in warm and clear Niagara Falls.