Old 14-07-2004, 05:02 PM
M.Paul

Default Burnt my lawn with fertilizer

Some things that I've learned...
- never fertilize a dry lawn - water a day or 2 before a planned
application
- water again 1 day after application
- use a drop spreader for accuracy
- use 2/3 amount recommended by manufacturer

I have great success using Bandini brand lawn fertilizers. I apply every
six weeks to dwarf fescue (in northern Califonia) using Turf Green in the
spring/summer, and Turf All Seasons in the fall/winter. I have done this
for the past six years and while I will probably get hammered by some in
this group, my lawns are thick, lush, deep dark green and the envy of the
neighborhood. Watering deeper and less often will also help, but it's been
my experience that this pattern needs to be established in spring.

"boz232" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I know this question has been asked 100 times, because I did a
google search, but I wanted to ask my question anyway in case some of
the circumstances were different. Here are the details.. its approx
a year old sod.. I laid the second application of fertilizer for the
year on Sunday night. It was pretty hot out, still in the 70's when I
did it. The first application early in the spring, I used some
really nice stuff from a local garden shop. This time, I used the
hardware store special 5000 sq ft for $5 a bag stuff. It was
something around 30-0-10. I used my broadcast spreader and applied a
little less then recommended. I have in-ground sprinklers, and they
go off every morning at 5am to give a light water, then a good soaking
once a week on Wed evenings. Anyway, the sprinklers didn't go off
the next morning for whatever reason, and I noticed the lawn was
turning a little brown in some areas. OK -- I manually turned on the
sprinklers and let it get a good soaking.. Woke up this morning (two
days later) and there are nice and brown patches everywhere.. UGHH.
The blades themselves are green on the bottom near the roots.. but 75%
of the blade is brown from that point up. Any chance this is going
to be recoverable? I am giving the lawn a good soaking twice a day
today.. unless I hear differently, I will continue to do this for a
week or so unless I don't see any improvement, in which case I'll
stop.

My questions a

1. What did I do wrong? I think the mixture of using a cheap-o fert
was mistake number 1. Mistake number two was probably applying it in
the middle of the summer during the day heat. I've used dry
fertilizers in the past with this lawn and others, and never had a bad
experience (except when I dropped a pile of it on a spot once).

2. Will the lawn come back based on what I described? I know its
impossible to tell from description alone, but I really hope someone
can lend some expertise in this!

Things I learned (so far):

1. Quit obsessing over the lawn so much... it really didnt appear to
NEED any fert.

2. If I do fertilize again, use either organic or liquid.

thanks for any insight, I'm really upset with myself right now!!