Old 14-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Browing Lilies

"Newbie Bill" wrote:

When you say
thinned did you remove some surface leaves per plant or number of plants in
your pond area?

My pond was completely full of water lily leaves and they were growing
on top of each other. I drained the pond in early spring, saved water
lily tubers, cleaned the pond and then replanted the lilies and refilled
the pond. When I drained the pond the water lilies had formed what
looked like a 2 inch black pipe(s) that weaved its way all over the
pond. It was the tuber from the lily(s). I chopped it into healthy
pieces about 5 inches long with leaf nodes. I ripped all leaves and
roots off. Then I planted the pieces of tubers in Walmart generic pure
clay kitty litter in mesh pond pots. I used no fertilizer at all.
Since my pond is spring fed, nutrients are in ample quantity and I must
use plants to remove the nutrients to prevent algae bloom.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman