Old 14-07-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Gophers!

i've tried the chewing gum route...no success. tried moth balls. (yawn)

a method they use in the back beyond hills of central oregon is..you go to a
thrift store and buy the old type of radio (with transistors) and bring it
home. fill the radio with the proper batteries and then tune it to a
station that isn't there...in other words, set the dial to "white sound."
then tie a rope or string or even dental floss to the radio and lower it
down into the hole. the "white noise" is supposed to not only drive 'em
crazy but also drive them far away enough from your property that even your
neighbour's gophers, moles, voles, ANY burrowing critter away!!!

i gotta tell you...it sure worked in oregon...doesn't seem to work here in
new hamster, though (sniff); perhaps the east coast critters are enured to
the sound??

From: "jim book"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:57:25 -0400
Subject: Gophers!

a few years ago the local radio "friendly trapper" advised to use juicy
fruit gum. a small (i use about 1/3 stick) piece in their tunnels will rid
them. not very humane, they can't pass it through their system and they
can't spit it up. i have used it and it does work. hth jim book
"Jackee" not available wrote in message
I walked out to my pretty garden this morning to discover either a gopher

or
a mole had dug a huge hole in the back of my garden, covering some of my
squash plants with a heaping pile of dirt!
Any tips to rid of this creature?