Old 14-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Vox Humana

Default flowerbed mulching help pls

"Ninip" wrote in message
news:QUcJc.19246$od7.4046@pd7tw3no...
Hi all
I am new to this gardening thing.
I have a empty dirt flower bed in front of my house beside the front

steps.
I am going to plant a few annuals , a few perennials, and a few shrubs.
I want to use the wood nuggets and black fabric. don't want to be weeding
all the time.
Question is.............Do I just lay fabric down and dump and spread

mulch
around? I cut fabric out for the plants. But was wondering how plantings
can get water when mulch is covering the fabric. These are the big wood
nuggets. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I don't want this

fail on me. Time and effort and money is too much.
Thanks in advance. Will eagerly await your replies.

I would forget about the landscape fabric. It will be in your way every
time you need to plant annuals or dig and divide the perennials. No matter
what you do, it will somehow make its way to the surface and give you bed a
ratty look. Eventually you will cut it out and throw it away. I would also
forget the nuggets. Even if they didn't look hideous and provide little
benefit to the plants, they will float away with every heavy rain. The
idiot who lived in my house before me used pine nugget mulch. It's
something that you never completely get rid of, like herpes. The stuff
spilled out of the bed when it rained and weeds, especially tree seeds,
happily germinated in the stuff. I would get some shredded mulch and put
down about a two inch blanket.