Old 14-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Phisherman

Default Burnt my lawn with fertilizer

On 14 Jul 2004 11:59:05 -0700, (boz232) wrote:

Bingo.. I was/am obsessing over the lawn. I was mowing about twice a
week, usually at 3" mower height. It was looking very much like a
putting green like someone hinted at. The yard looked fantastic, and
I don't mind spending an hour or two a day working on it.. but you are
right, I broke all three of the rules 1) mow too short 2) over
fertilize 3) over water/shallow roots.

I am going to keep watering this week, it actually is starting to look
a little "less" brown.. but that could be my imagination. I'm hoping
as the weeks go by, the lawn will grow, and the brown spots will grow
as well, so eventually I will be able to mow the brown spots off until
I get to green.

It may be possible the browning is grubs rather than the fertilizer.

I'm not sure what kind of sod I have, but its fairly broad-leaved, and
a pretty dark green color. What would you recommend for a cutting
height?

You should find out what kind of grass you have. I mow 3.5" for tall
fescue. The taller the grass is mowed the deeper the root system,
more draught tolerant, and fewer weeds.

I'm hoping it recovers still.. but I haven't written off having to
possibly resod the entire front and sides this fall when it cools
down.