Old 14-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Ka30P

Default Dragonfly behavior

Hey Bill,
your answer is behind door
number four
4)Laying eggs

The eggs will hatch, spend the winter in the pond as larva eating up tiny
critters, fish fry and tadpoles if you have any. They catch them by ejecting
their jaw out from under their bodies and snagging their lunch.
In the spring, or late winter for you I expect, they will crawl up out of the
pond on a plant stem, split the back of their skin and the dragonfly will
emerge, spread its wings, let them dry and then fly off leaving the
extoskeleton behind.
They are the kewlest bugs. The US military studied them to figure out how they
work.
They fly in antiphase which is very impressive but I forget exactly what it
means. They form a basket with their front legs and scoop up winged insects on
the fly, eat them and carry on all with out stopping. The original fastfood.

kathy :-)
algae primer