Old 14-07-2004, 11:03 PM
San Diego Joe

Default Dragonfly behavior

"grubber" wrote:

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all - On several occasions I have seen a dragonfly fly close to the
water, tilt its tail part 90 degrees and quickly dip it into the pond a
number of times. Even saw this once just using a little water on a lily
pad. I'm guessing its either 1)Drinking from the wrong end 2)Decided my
pond is his potty 3)Is giving me the finger, but cant fly up side down or
4)Laying eggs or whatever they have? Got any ideas?

btw- It has sure been an unexpected treat to get to see a growing number

of
varieties of colors and shapes of dragonflies. Till now I had barely
noticed those oversized flies and at other locations. I think they were
mostly blue/black or reddish tinged. I saw one recently that appeared to
have landed and and then rotated his wings perpedicular to the ground.

This
may be common, but not for me.

Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Bill, you are psychic. I was having my coffee out by the pond this morning
and thought about posting this very question. After reading Kathy's
response, it's clear that it is dragonfly egg dropping time in Austin.

Dragonflies are becoming my favorite part of the 'pond experience' as my
herd has grown to a few dozen of varying colors. There are some huge
scarlet ones that put on quite a show in the evening while I relax with a
soothing beverage.

They are one of my favorite things about the pond also. I like that they
buzz around and mostly come to roost back at the same place - makes
photographing them easier. I spend lots of time standing in my pond, camera
focused on a rush. I'm also not embarrassed to say that I've rescued
dragonfly nymphs from my skimmer!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.