Old 15-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Newbie Bill

Default Dragonfly behavior

Yes, arent they just too cool. I have a couple of those huge scarlet ones
and also a very large electric lime one, but it has most of its color on the
section behind the head rather than the tail segment. Got any idea about
what the scarlet one is. If I got a clear pic(havent) but was going to ask
the group. When I tried to look it up the closest I found was a Scarlet Bog
I believe, but it was from Australia. We're not that south. It looked just
like it though. Brite Red long and very broad appendage part, rusty on
section behind the head.
Bill

"grubber" wrote in message
"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all - On several occasions I have seen a dragonfly fly close to the
water, tilt its tail part 90 degrees and quickly dip it into the pond a
number of times. Even saw this once just using a little water on a lily
pad. I'm guessing its either 1)Drinking from the wrong end 2)Decided my
pond is his potty 3)Is giving me the finger, but cant fly up side down

or
4)Laying eggs or whatever they have? Got any ideas?

btw- It has sure been an unexpected treat to get to see a growing number

of
varieties of colors and shapes of dragonflies. Till now I had barely
noticed those oversized flies and at other locations. I think they were
mostly blue/black or reddish tinged. I saw one recently that appeared

have landed and and then rotated his wings perpedicular to the ground.

This
may be common, but not for me.

Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Bill, you are psychic. I was having my coffee out by the pond this

morning
and thought about posting this very question. After reading Kathy's
response, it's clear that it is dragonfly egg dropping time in Austin.

Dragonflies are becoming my favorite part of the 'pond experience' as my
herd has grown to a few dozen of varying colors. There are some huge
scarlet ones that put on quite a show in the evening while I relax with a
soothing beverage.