Old 15-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Ka30P

Default Best way to clean pond?

Mike wrote What is the best way to clean out the muck and leaves from one's
pond?
Doing it by hand is not very efficient. My pond is just under 1000 gallons.

We grew up two teenage boys and equip them each with a net that has a flat
edge. Pizza, pop and girls (well, they are on their own for that) await the end
of pond cleaning day.

Our pond is 3,000 gallons and it doesn't take too long to scoop it out. After
draining. Fish go in a 150 gallon stock tank filled with pond water and netted
to keep the fish from jumping out. The nets are nice and large. DH bought them
at Sportsman's Warehouse. The flat edge is the key.

You don't want to get the pond squeaky clean. For fish health you want some of
the sludge left behind to get the next generation of zooplankton going.

Some folks use a wet vac and hopefully someone will come along and post their
technique.

kathy :-)
algae primer