Old 15-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Vox Humana

Default when to plant

"Jack B." wrote in message
m...
I picked up some perennial geranium (bulbs or roots) yesterday for
dirt cheap. Of course they wont bloom this year, but should I plant
them now or wait until the Fall? I' hoping to get them established
enough for blooming next year.

They were cheap because they where bare root plants that have been in
storage all last winter and were intended to be planted this spring. I
often get such bargains at the Springhill Nursery catalog clearance sale in
mid-June. You need to get them in the ground or a pot ASAP. It has been my
experience that these plants only survive about 50% or the time and I factor
that in the price. If they are $1 or less, then it is a bargain. Since
geraniums are nearing the end of their bloom cycle, I see them going on the
sale tables in local nurseries. They cost more, but they are also more
likely to thrive.