Old 15-07-2004, 05:06 AM
Jody

Default shady ground covers

Thank you all for your tips. A lot of the plants you mentioned I found at a
local nursery already. Some of the other ones I couldn't find so I was
trying to get them from a mail order nursery but I can't do that until the
fall. One of the questions I still have is whether you can grow some of
these type of perennials from seed. Also, we cleared the land of poison and
other nuisance plants and don't want them to grow back by the time these
plants get established or planted (since many I can't get until the fall).
I really am looking for a solution to cover the raw ground with until that
point so the weeds don't come back. I also need some type of organic weed
killer for the ones who do make an appearance. Is there anyone out there
who has experience with organic weed killers?

"The Data Rat" wrote in message
How about taking a walk through a wooded area and see what is growing

native
to the area? Most bulbs look nice in a wooded area if you just throw them
out and plant where they land. Bleeding hearts do well in wooded areas

and
grow very well in the Philly area. I helped my friend in Philly

completely
renovate her yard to look "natural" since it is a pre-revolutionary house

in
Chestnut Hill, and it looks AWESOME, like all the things we planted grew
there naturally. She isn't much of a gardener, and it still looks great 3
years later.

Good luck!

Suzi

"Jody" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a wooded area that I want to replace the weeds with attractive
groundcovers. I have fresh dirt and need to plant. Would planting from
seed take too long? I am having a hard time finding the plants. Most

mail
order companies won't ship until the fall and I can't really wait that

long.
I am looking for suggestions. Thank you.
Jody