Old 15-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Sean Dinh

Default New pond is filled and planted. Now what?

Contrary to popular belief, I always fill the pond with plants and fish the 1st
day. As long as you have some thing to aerate the water and also restrain from
feeding the fish much, the fish would be fine.

Pam Gibbs wrote:

My pond made from an old ski boat has been full of water for a couple of
weeks now. Except that yesterday I managed to pump 2/3 of the water out of
the boat, whereupon the bow floated up several inches and had to be put
back, but I learned something and practiced my ditch-digging skills, and
had a crash course in french drains. Anyway. Some of the new plants have
started to grow.. It has a Skippy style filter (with no plants in it yet).
I am working on landscaping the area around the pond.

What next? I figure it needs to sit there for a while before I even think
about goldfish. How long before it turns green with algae, and how long
does it take to settle? Should I go ahead and start testing the water? How
will I know when it's ready for fish? Do I need to go ahead and pour in the
filter starter stuff?

I have a couple of pond books and have been reading lots of wonderful
websites. I would like to find one that describes everything that you do
after you turn off the water hose when the pond gets full for the first
time..

Thanks!