Old 15-07-2004, 01:02 PM
KCnRichmond

Default Burnt my lawn with fertilizer

Phish wrote:

It may be possible the browning is grubs rather than the fertilizer.

So true, the little buggers....boz232, any moles in there?

And lets not forget our mid summer friend Mr Fungus and his orchestra that
is about to play for us from now till about Sept....Its been quite a Spring
and Summer here in central Va. .. With the early 95 deg heat in mid April to
the stifling humidity to the every evening toad-choking thunderstorms, which
the water sits there and cooks up a nice stew of fungal fever....August
ain't here yet, and the almanac says below avg. rainfall and record breaking
heat........
Boz232 may have just stressed out the lawn a little, but it will recover, it
just won't look as good as the nice Spring growth it had for a short
time.....Do nothing until you are sure of what you got........
You CAN water everyday if you can afford a good soaking and not just a short
shot of water...Cutting taller is not the only reason for deep roots with
TF, the roots will also follow the water down to the soak depth...Little
water, short , horizontal, weak roots.....Never water in the evening, It
needs Mr Sunshine to help in the chemistry of things....Golf courses water
EVERY day and will also turn on a firehose to certain parts to cool down the
grass......
When did you lime last? More than 4 months ago? I don't recall you saying
where you are, but if you have acidic soil, or even alkaline, the closer to
neutral the Ph is, the more nutrients are released to the lawn...They're in
there, just locked up.....That's why a lot of folks think lime greens up a
lawn...Its not the lime, its the goodies in the soil....Takes about 2 months
for the pellitized lime to kick in, so if you are overseeding in the fall,
do it soon.....
Me....I'd water 20 min. every other day at about 5 a.m......Take a spade out
to one of the patches and chunk it in the ground and pry back to check if it
is grubs or not.... Then take corrective action....Which would be nothing if
its fungus.....Nothing being no NPK, watering, or fungal controls...Just let
it dry out a week or so...
Good luck