Old 15-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Howard Neil

Default clover in lawn

hugh wrote:

In message ,
Howard Neil writes

hugh wrote:

In message ,
Howard Neil writes

Japmark wrote:

This year I have been overrun with clover in the lawn.

You are fortunate. The clover will fix nitrogen from the air and
save you from having to apply fertilizer.

The benefit to the grass is minimal.

That is not the experience of livestock farmers who deliberately sow
clover in their grass fields. See:-

They don't feed graze their livestock on lawns - at least not deliberately.

Maybe not but the effect of nitrogen fixing is the same. The point is
that it is more economical to buy and sow clover seed than fertilizer.

A lot depends on the desired effect of course but there seems to be an
automatic desire to remove clover from lawns with no consideration to
the benefits. It is as if there is a presumption that clover is bad for
a lawn.

I have clover both in my fields and in my lawn. I need to occasionally
add farmyard manure to the fields to help support livestock but I have
yet to add any fertilizer of any description to my lawn and the grass is
in excellent condition.

--
Howard Neil