Old 15-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Alan Gould

Default Tomato side shoots

In article , Pen Phill
writes
Hi all
I usually pull or cut off the side shoots on my tomato plants until they are
about 5 trusses high at which point I nip out the growing tops but in some
varieties the ends of the trusses themselves start to shoot beyond the fruit
forming further branches if left.. Should I cut these off as well?

Phil

Taking off those additional shoots is more or less optional depending on
your style of plant management and cropping requirements. We take ours
off because we feel that 5 trusses is enough for the plant to do and the
extra fruits would come at a time of glut and after we have frozen all
we wish to.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.