Old 15-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Ro

Default Will Koi Stop Growing Based on size of pond?

Several years back, I put in a 6 ft x 9 ft x 18 inch deep pond and stocked it with baby Koi and a few assorted goldfish. Most of the fish are small/medium......4-5 inches long or smaller. But my 3 oldest, Koi, beautiful specimens that they are, keep growing larger and larger...........now reaching the 13-14 inch long range.

Aside from their beauty and grace, Koi are know for their longevity.............I understand that Koi are considered "family Jewels" in the Asian cultures, and are handed down from generation to generation in Japan and China. The oldest one on record lived (which died 2 yrs ago) to be 268 yrs old, according to a video on ponding that I borrowed from the library.

My question for the group is:
I have given away some of my smaller gold fish to make more swim room for them as I'd like to keep them, but I was wondering if the Koi will stop growing based on the size of my pond or if I will have eventually part with them due to space problem?
Thanks.
RW