Old 15-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Chet Hayes

Default shady ground covers

"BonnieJean" wrote in message ...
"Jody" wrote in message
| Also, we cleared the land of poison and
| other nuisance plants and don't want them to grow back by the time these
| plants get established or planted (since many I can't get until the fall).
| I really am looking for a solution to cover the raw ground with until that
| point so the weeds don't come back. I also need some type of organic weed
| killer for the ones who do make an appearance. Is there anyone out there
| who has experience with organic weed killers?

One option is covering the area with black plastic or a lot of newspaper.
The newspaper will eventually decompose too. You may want to do a search at
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/ and under the organic garden forum. I
get a ton of info from the Garden Web forum.

You could use peat moss, which decomposes faster than a wood chip
mulch. I'd forget about organic weed killers for poison ivy. That's
hard enough to kill with regular weed killer. Of the choices
available, Roundup is probably the safest vegetation killer, but it
will probably take multiple applications to kill poison ivy.