Old 15-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Newbie Bill

Default Will Koi Stop Growing Based on size of pond?

Hi - I believe ONE of the reasons 'the group' suggests such a large water capacity for koi is for just this reason. A couple of 3 inch koi obviously dont need 1100 gallons of water. But they will grow untill the conditions wont let them - and then begin to die, but probably not overnite. It is my understanding the same is essentially true of Goldfish. Although they are known for limiting their size based upon the container the typical 'limited growth' aquarium goldfish lives 2-3 years out of a possible 10-15. I am finally beginning to 'get it'. Although I have 'followed the rules' with goldfish, because I am heavily stocked, I undoubtedly will have to find a good home for possibly half or more of my fish at some point (or build a bigger pond. Some people have 2000 gallon ponds, 8 or 10 goldfish and a couple of koi. I used to think - 'But why'. Now I understand-with a smaller effort and the fewest problems (nature is not always gentle) their fish will grow old with them. Some will say you shouldnt have any koi, with the size of your pond. How many you keep you will have to decide. Why do you think so many ponders inevitably get bigger and bigger ponds They can part with their money easier than their fish.
Happing Ponding!
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas