Old 15-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Dsybok

Default Will Koi Stop Growing Based on size of pond?

You could sell the large ones, which should bring top dollar for their size
and then start over with smaller ones. You can repeat this practice as often
as needed into the future.

I have a 8 by 5 by 1.5 to 2.5 foot deep pond and would anticipate that my
fish will grow to a large size, eventually too large to keep, but I cannot
make the pond any larger, so the fish will have to go. Not much I can do
about it, I have a 2500 square foot backyard and half of that is garage!

"Ro" wrote in message
Hi........
Several years back, I put in a 6 ft x 9 ft x 18 inch deep pond and stocked
it with baby Koi and a few assorted goldfish. Most of the fish are
small/medium......4-5 inches long or smaller. But my 3 oldest, Koi,
beautiful specimens that they are, keep growing larger and
larger...........now reaching the 13-14 inch long range.

Aside from their beauty and grace, Koi are know for their
longevity.............I understand that Koi are considered "family Jewels"
in the Asian cultures, and are handed down from generation to generation in
Japan and China. The oldest one on record lived (which died 2 yrs ago) to
be 268 yrs old, according to a video on ponding that I borrowed from the
library.

My question for the group is:
I have given away some of my smaller gold fish to make more swim room for
them as I'd like to keep them, but I was wondering if the Koi will stop
growing based on the size of my pond or if I will have eventually part with
them due to space problem?
Thanks.
RW