Old 16-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Jim Carlock

Default inexpensive sources of high nitrogen

Agreeing with someone... don't know about illegality.

Taken from a book written in 1975, "Companion Planting For
Successful Gardening" by Louise Riotte...

snip
Comfrey (Symphytum officinale). Comfrey, also called knitbone
or healing herb, is high in calcium, potassium and phosphorous,
rich in Vitamins A and C. It was an ancient belief that comfrey
preparations taken internally or as a poultice bound to injured
parts hastened the healing of broken bones.

It is possible that the nutrients present in comfrey actually do
assist in the healing process since we now know that the herb also
contains a drug called allantoin, which promotes the strengthening
of the lining of hollow internal organs.

The very first leaves of comfrey, gathered in the early spring,
are quite delicious to eat, but let the later ones go. The leaves of
Russian comfrey are ideal for the compost heap, having a carbon-
nitrogen ratio similar to that of barnyard manure.
/snip

Hope that helps.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/

"someone" wrote:

Frank Miles wrote:
In article someone wrote:

ooha wrote:
What are the most inexpensive sources of chemical fertilizers for high
nitrogen application?

Grow comfrey, then chop the leaves and compost them in water as a
liquid fertilizer. Smells like hell, though.

Comfrey flowers are great for attracting bees.

IIRC comfrey is illegal in some places -- due to invasiveness.

Eh??? Never! I've had comfrey growing for over 20 years both in my home
garden and on my allotment (UK). It's never been a problem. Maybe
you're describing a different variety of comfrey? Please post a URL if
you have information about invasive comfrey, I'd be very interested.

BTW, large comfrey leaves are useful for putting down on the bottom of
pots so the soil doesn't fall out :-). That's what I do.

s.