Old 16-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Layering

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:23:04 GMT

(Lee) wrote:

William Wagner wrote:
We place rocks or bricks on low lying branches of plants we like.
Sometimes in a year we have a plant that can be cut from the parent
plant. Work's with Rodo's and azaleas .

excellent way to go, but i'm getting to the point that i don't have a
lot of time left so layering or slipping seems more plausable for me.

Leo, placing a rock or brick on a low lying branch is layering.
Layering is the easiest form of propagation for the home gardener. A
lower branch is held down on soil (not mulch) with a stone. A slit is
cut in an area in contact with the soil and the cut is treated with a
rooting hormone. Then the cut area will sprout roots. When the roots are
developed enough to support the end of the branch, usually in 2 years,
the branch is cut from the parent plant and, if desired, transplanted.

Rooting cuttings is slipping and can be done with hardwood cuttings and
softwood cuttings. The process is different.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman