Old 16-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Robyn Rhudy

Default To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Bill Stock wrote:

Pond is a little bare this year due to the cooler weather. The Water
Hyacinth are surviving, but not flourishing. So I wanted to introduce some
other quick growing cover to help with the Algae and provide shade, as well
as a nosh for the GF.

I've read good and bad about Duckweed. I've got a 500 gal pond with 9 GF,
will Duckweed take over or will the GF ravage it? Should I grow it in a tub
and add as required? Do I need to coral it in one area to prevent
competition with the Lillies and WH?

My goldfish do eat any duckweed I put in my 1800 gallon pond. I let it
grow in a tub pond and put some in when it grows enough. They scarf it
up. You can't really coral duckweed; it's small and will end up all over
anyway. You can retain the water hyacinth though in a hoop, ring, or
floating plant thingy.

Advice appreciated. I'm in southern Ontario BTW.

Important Notice! Robyn's web site has moved from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com. This
e-mail as well as the old site (which refers to the new site) will be
deleted on 9/24/04 by UMBC (I have no say in it). After that date,
please use the e-mail of instead of this e-mail.
Please spread the word that my site has moved. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -