Old 16-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Vox Humana

Default ID Ohio shrub please?

"DannyKewl" wrote in message
Thanks much everyone for responding, at least I know what it is now, and
what some alternatives are. That gave me a chance to research it on line

for
starters and it may be the California variety I had. What's strange is

many
of the sites I found said that most people don't like the scent, while a

few
others called it desirable, and a few said either you love it or hate it.
Guess I'm one of the few who like it. The owner of the property where this
one grows is a friend of mine. Would I be able to cut a piece off his and
grow it? If so what part? Can I just pretty much stick it in the ground
where I want it? When I moved, the shrub was growing pretty much

everywhere,
I don't think he'll mind me snipping some off. Thanks again.

Since you are in Cleveland, you might take a drive to the Mentor area and
visit the Holden Arboretum. They have a wonderful collection of trees and
shrubs and a good library. I got a book on plant propagation there at the
annual plant sale a few years ago. There are many great nurseries along the
lake that sell plants at good prices. Pettiti's has a beautiful new facility
not far from Gardenview - a private garden turned park that has a wonderful
collection of hellebores. Further east in Madison, you will find the
renowned Bluestone Perennials. They have a huge clearance sale every June
and sell small shrubs and perennials. I'm sure that you will find many
plants that are far superior to that privet - plants with more interesting
color and texture, better flowers, better fragrance, and that have more
4-season appeal.