Old 16-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Bob S.

Default Burnt my lawn with fertilizer

(boz232) wrote in message . com...

I laid the second application of fertilizer for the
year on Sunday night. It was pretty hot out, still in the 70's when I
did it. The first application early in the spring, I used some
really nice stuff from a local garden shop. This time, I used the
hardware store special 5000 sq ft for $5 a bag stuff. It was
something around 30-0-10.

A lesson learned. But there is another side to this story. High
nitrogen fertilizer can be used as weed control. In a yard that has
occasional broad leaf weeds like dandelion, a tablespoon of 35-0-0
placed in the center of the weed will kill the weed without damaging
surrounding turf or subjecting kids or animals to herbicides. Been
doing it for years and it works well.

Bob S.