Old 17-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Perry

Default Streams or Screams?

Hi Kate,
(Greetings to all from a first time postee)

Have you thought of just putting in a rill (man-made stream bed)? I've seen
pictures of rills where the small ditch is lined with loose fitting brick
and rock. Small catch basins of brick and rock are sometimes built in. It
doesn't require mortar or cement but still channels the rainwater faster and
better than dirt, and often old or used materials are used.

Also, since the bricks are laid without mortar, rain water seeps below them
and makes excellent, wet, protected soil for water loving shrubs (fern,
iris, daylilies, etc.)

At the bottom, I think a lined catch basin to hold the water better (about
the size of big sink), or you might lay a pond liner under the dirt and
create a bog garden. Then let frogs, tadpoles, and other wildlife move in
as they will.

"SVTKate" wrote in message
news
It's me again.

Having too much time on ones hands to work out in the 'yard' makes the
imagination run amok with ideas for making the whole place look like a
wooded wonderland.

Having the pocketbook of a retiree, makes one's imagination often come to
screaming, frustrated halt in nothing short.

I have been looking at my place and thinking that I would like a little
stream. There is no natural running water but if it were to run from up by
the house to the pond (call it 200 yards as a rough guess) it has an

already
natural pathway from where the rain runoff travels.

If you do a stream, do you have to do filters and all of that?
Are the pumps expensive to purchase and operate?
What are the real ups and downs of manmade streams?
Do you think it feasible with the distance I am dreaming of?
Are they terribly involved to build or can you just dig a ditch, put some
rocks in to prevent erosion and turn it on?

Thanks folks for hearing my stupid questions and not throwing me in the
pond.

Kate