Old 17-07-2004, 02:02 AM
FarmerDill

Default Corn plant with three ears growing

I've read somewhere that one ear of corn per plant is what
is to be expected. I have found that corn loves alot of sun,
likes a lot of heat, and really does well in direct sunlight and
does not like any kind of shade.

1. Yes corn demands sunlight and one ear per stalk is average for many
cultivars, There is a cultivar named "Six Shooter" which is famous for multiple
ears but not much else. Many cultivars given adequate spacing will give two
usable ears per stalk.
What's the most ears of corn grown off of one plant (seed) ?

2. Don't know the record but I'll bet its held by "Six Shooter".
I've found that in direct sunlight, a seed planted two weeks
after seeds planted in half-sun/half-shade will fruit earlier than
the earlier planted seeds. Furthermore, I've found that seeds
should be placed at least two feet from another seed. I am
actually leaning towards three feet between the seeds but I'm
reading that wind can damage the corn. 15mph winds seem
to have an effect on under than one foot and corn of two feet
is much stronger. And it gets stronger as it grows.

3. In the olden days field corn was check planted at 42 inches by 42 inches.
Todays hybrids and copious fertization allows drill planting at 12 inch spacing
in 42 inch rows. A lot depends on the cultivar and soil fertility and water.
After the corn is harvested, can the stalk be expected to bear
more corn ?

No, corn is a one shot plant.