Old 17-07-2004, 02:02 AM
simy1

Default learning the hard way

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
On 15 Jul 2004 09:11:14 -0700, (Jay) wrote:

This year was my first attempt at vegetable gardening and I have
learned some lessons the hard way.

Often seems as if that's the *only* way with gardening. :-) But these
are the lessons that stick. I *still* find it hard to believe a frail
5" tomato plant will require 6' industrial-strength support and 10
square feet of ground space come July. As for cucumbers, just be glad
they aren't zucchini!

plus, it is hardly "the hard way" - too big plants, too many tomatoes,
etc. the hard way is zucchini with rotten stems, bean plants covered
by a cloud of mexican beetles, groundhog breakins, obsessing about
chipmunks, wilted pitiful yellow things throughout the garden,
rootbound cabbage plants which have not grown an inch in six months,
armpit-high weeds, broccoli skeletonized by worms and slugs. etcetera.
can you relate?