Old 17-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Jim Carlock

Default Corn plant with three ears growing

To FarmerDill and Brigitte, Thanks! I was hoping that the stalk
would be able to make more corn. :-(

Guess I'll have to leave one stalk up to see what happens over
the course of time. :-)

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.911forthetruth.com/

"Jim Carlock" wrote:
I've read somewhere that one ear of corn per plant is what
is to be expected. I have found that corn loves alot of sun,
likes a lot of heat, and really does well in direct sunlight and
does not like any kind of shade.

What's the most ears of corn grown off of one plant (seed) ?

I've found that in direct sunlight, a seed planted two weeks
after seeds planted in half-sun/half-shade will fruit earlier than
the earlier planted seeds. Furthermore, I've found that seeds
should be placed at least two feet from another seed. I am
actually leaning towards three feet between the seeds but I'm
reading that wind can damage the corn. 15mph winds seem
to have an effect on under than one foot and corn of two feet
is much stronger. And it gets stronger as it grows.

After the corn is harvested, can the stalk be expected to bear
more corn ?

"Brigitte J." replied:
I live in Nebraska, corn capitol of the midwest. The farmers here plant
each seed approximately 9 inches apart. Each stalk of corn appears to have
2 cobs. After the corn is harvested, the plant is done. It doesn't produce
more corn.

With all the rain we've had this year, the fields look better than they have
in many years. The farmers here will have a bumper crop. They deserve it,
too. The last several years have not been so kind to them.

Brigitte